Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday Movie Review: Nine


I've decided that since I love movies so much I am going to do a movie review every Thursday. (Or at least try)  Some movies may be new releases and some may be some old ones because I don't watch a ton of new releases.


Anyway for my first one I am reviewing the movie "Nine."


This is a movie that was adapted from a Tony Award winning play on Broadway.  It has an all-star, Academy Award winning cast and crew.  Here is the list...(You don't have to read it all.  Just to give you a picture...)- Nicole Kidman was awarded for The Hours (2002), and was nominated in 2002 for her role in Moulin Rouge! (2001). - Daniel Day-Lewis is a two time winner for the films My Left Foot: The Story of Christy Brown (1989) and There Will Be Blood (2007), as well as being nominated for both In the Name of the Father (1993) and Gangs of New York (2002). - Judi Dench won a supporting actress Oscar in 1999 for her performance as Queen Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love (1998) and has been nominated for both supporting and leading roles on another five occasions for Mrs Brown (1997), Chocolat (2000), Iris (2001/I), Mrs Henderson Presents (2005) and Notes on a Scandal (2006). - Sophia Loren won her first award in 1962 for La ciociara (1960) and has since been nominated once more for Matrimonio all'italiana (1964) and also received an Honorary Award in 1991. - Marion Cotillard was awarded in 2008 for La môme (2007). - Penélope Cruz was awarded in 2009 for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) and was nominated for Volver (2006/I). - 'Kate Hudson' was nominated for her supporting role in Almost Famous (2000). The crew has also been recognized by the Academy: - Director Rob Marshall was nominated for Chicago (2002). - Writer Michael Tolkin was nominated for The Player (1992). - Writer Anthony Minghella has been nominated twice for other adaptations: for The English Patient (1996) for which he also won Best Director, and later for The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999). - Cinematographer Dion Beebe was nominated for Chicago (2002), and later won the award for Memoirs of a Geisha (2005), both directed by Rob Marshall. -Production designer John Myhre was awarded for Chicago (2002) andMemoirs of a Geisha (2005) and nominated for Elizabeth (1998) and Dreamgirls (2006). - Set decorator Gordon Sim was awarded for Chicago(2002). - Make up and hair designer Peter King won for Best Makeup in 2004 for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003). - Well-renowned producer Harvey Weinstein has an Academy Award from when Shakespeare in Love (1998) won Best Picture in 1999. He also produced Gangs of New York (2002) which was nominated for Best Picture in 2003.




Sounds promising right?  That's what I thought.  I had been excited to see it since I first heard it was coming out. Unfortunately, I was let down.  Big time.




The movie is about a director who is having problems coming up with a new movie.  He has his leading actress, costumes, and title, but he can't manage to come up with a script.  His problem could stem with all of the personal problems he is facing as well.  He has numerous mistresses and his wife is upset with him because of that.  His mother, whom he adores, is upset with him because of his infidelities, and he is being pressured by his producers and agent to come up with a new movie.  And thats pretty much the story line.




Ok so here's the deal.  I LOVE musicals which is ultimately why I was so drawn to this movie in the first place, and don't get me wrong, the songs were great.  But that is the only good part of this movie.  It was very boring.  I fell asleep in it twice.  It also has way underdeveloped characters as well as an underdeveloped plot.  Now I haven't seen the original Broadway play so I don't know if it is any better but I just seems to me like they had too much to squeeze into a 2 hour movie.




I also strongly feel that the main character "Guido" played by Daniel Day Lewis was way miscast.  His goofy Italian accent made it hard to take it seriously.  I think DDL is a great actor. I love There Will Be Blood and Gangs of New York but this role just didn't seem to work for him.




So all in all, the movie was pretty bad, however some of the song and dance numbers were entertaining.  I give it 2 out of 5 stars.  

1 comment:

  1. You will be famous after a few more of these reviews. (-:

    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete